About Third Base
Third Base is an afterschool program available to elementary age children in Kanawha County Schools who are in kindergarten through fifth grade. Parents/guardians must complete an enrollment form each year to enroll their children in the program. Children must be enrolled and approved for Third Base before they attend.
The program is located in the school’s multipurpose room or gym and begins immediately after school dismisses. Children must be picked up by 5:40 p.m. (Late pick ups may be subject to fees.) Some Third Base programs serve more than one school. In those cases, children will ride a Kanawha County Schools bus from their home school to the Third Base location. A list of locations can be found under the About Us tab, as well as on the enrollment packet cover page and in the Family Handbook.
During Third Base, children will have a healthy snack, followed by up to 30 minutes of supervised homework time. The staff then engage the children in a variety of activities that promote physical, social and emotional development. This includes outside play, games, arts and crafts, and other play centers.
Our staff are fingerprinted, drug tested, and receive a background check. All are trained in CPR and First Aid. Third Base Program are licensed through the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.
There is a weekly fee which is due the first day of each week your child attends. You pay the weekly fee, regardless of the number of days your child attends during the week. We do accept CONNECT and LINK for those families who qualify for that program through WV DHHR. To enroll your child or children in Third Base, please follow the directions below.
Rates: The weekly Private Pay rates for 2021-2022 are $65 for 1 child, $90 for 2 children, and $115 for 3 children. When your enrollment has been approved and you are told that your child may start the program, a $10 family registration fee will be billed to your Third Base account and payment will be due the first day your child/children attends, along with the weekly fee. Families receiving assistance from CONNECT or Link or other WV DHHR program must also pay the registration fee.
To enroll for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Click on the link to download the fillable PDF enrollment form. Review the list of sites on the cover page to determine if your child’s school is served by a Third Base program. If you are unable to download or print the forms, please call our office to have one mailed to you. ** Note: Weimer students now go to Alban for Third Base instead of Central.
- Be sure to provide complete names, physical addresses (no P.O. Boxes), and phone numbers for parents/guardians and anyone listed as an Emergency Contact and/or Authorized Pick Up Person. You also must provide the name of your child’s health insurance provider and the policy number. WV DHHR requires this information be on the form and your enrollment will not be processed without it.
- For more information about KCSCEP and our Policies and Procedures, please download the 2021-2022 Family Handbook. A hard copy of this handbook will be given to you the first week your child attends.
- You can mail, email, or fax your completed form to the KCSCEP office. The fax number is 304-766-0389 (please call to confirm receipt of fax). The email is KCSCEP@mail.kana.k12.wv.us. Our mailing address is 142 Marshall Ave., Dunbar, WV 25064. DO NOT return these forms to your child’s school.
- When we receive your enrollment, we will email you to let you know we received it. This is NOT confirmation that your child has been approved to attend. You will be notified at a later date as to your enrollment status (approved or wait list). We will advise you if there is required information missing from your form that would hold up its processing so that you may correct this.
- Please note that on the Acceptable Use Form, you can include the names of all the children in the family on the line that asks for the student’s name. We do not need your child’s WVEIS number or signature.
- You can sign the form digitally by clicking on the space for signature and creating a digital signature.
- The $10 registration fee will be billed to your Third Base account when your enrollment is approved and will be due the first day your child attends.
Please note that many of our sites have reached their enrollment capacity. If that is the case, your child will be placed on a waiting list for that site.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please call our office at 304-766-0378.